CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sew Sweet.......

I have wanted to learn to sew for as long as I can remember but have never thought I could learn or had the time really to do it.  When I quit my job last summer to be a stay at home mother I knew it was now or never!!!  I was determined to learn to make Arden some cute little clothes.  Mama and Daddy bought me a sewing machine for Christmas last year from a great little sew shop here in Hattiesburg called "Kelley's Pins and Needles".  After Christmas I took my machine into the shop and Kelley showed me how to use the machine.  I got a really good laugh at myself when she began to tell me about the bobbin!  The what???  What in the heck is a bobbin?? She tells me it is the "under thread".  Really, I had no idea there was an under thread or that it was called the bobbin!  At this point I am beginning to wonder if sewing will really be my thing! Will I actually be able to sew if I didn't even realize that TWO threads were needed to make a complete stitch!!  Kelley assured me I would be okay.  So I have taken a few classes and I must admit although I have miles of improvement ahead of me I really feel like I am in my element when I am sewing.  It is challenging for sure but I love it!!  I took a class and made an outfit for Arden, then I made her an Easter basket to match it.  I made the Easter Basket by myself and was so proud that i made one for Cash too.  They weren't perfect but I was pleased.  I then took a class to learn how to sew a Rag quilt which I discovered was very time consuming but not difficult and have since made two more at home!  I made Arden an outfit this summer complete with an appliqued shirt, the applique was HARD, much harder than I had envisioned! ha!  And even though the little owl had imperfect wings she looks adorable in her outfit!  I am currently working on some more outfits for Arden and a few other things I am trying my hand out at.  I have clothes hanging in Arden's closet that my Granny made for me when I was little and I can't wait to put them on her!! My mama sewed lots of dresses and even made dolls for me growing up.  I can still remember watching her sew as a child and I am really excited to be learning this art! 

This is a rag quilt I made for Cash's preschool teacher, Mrs. Jenn Slade at the end of the school year.
Arden's outfit is so big she may wear it next year to! Ha
This is the outfit I made for her this summer!

This is a rag quilt I made for my dear friend Bridgett's baby Faith Elizabeth


0 comments: